To carry out the RHS’s duties as International Cultivar Registration Authority for daffodils and dahlias. This position represents a significant element of the RHS’s international role as an ICRA, as well as contributing to its learned society status. The Registrar is expected to represent the RHS in both national and international flora and reports to the ISHS Commission for Nomenclature and Cultivar Registration.
- To maintain and promote the International Narcissus Register and the International Dahlia Register.
- Establish a database for the International Dahlia Register with a view to databasing older records as resources become available.
- To prepare for publication the annual supplements to the Registers and produce complete Registers as required.
- Work with the Hon Assistant Dahlia Registrar to ensure hand over of expertise and develop contacts with other data sources for Dahlia cultivars.
- To attend meetings of the RHS Daffodil & Tulip Committee and Advisory Panel on Narcissus Classification and to act as secretary to the relevant committees as needed.
- To attend meetings of the RHS Dahlia Committee and to act as secretary to the Committee.
- To represent the RHS at national or international meetings relating to daffodils and dahlias.
- To liaise with other specialists, holders of relevant collections and nurseries in connections with the Register.
- To liaise with other UK-based registrars and organise annual meeting for registration issues.
What do you need?
- University degree in the plant sciences, equivalent qualifications or commensurate experience.
- Basic knowledge of the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants and/or the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature.
- Horticultural taxonomy.
- Detailed knowledge of the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants and the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature.
- Use of botanical and horticultural descriptive terminology thorough grounding and experience in Narcissus and/or Dahlia.
- Preparation of scientific information for publication.