1. The competition is open to all amateur and professional photographers. Amateur and professional entries will not be judged separately. Employees of the RHS or Wex Photographic are not eligible to enter.
2. Plants, Details and Abstracts, Celebrating Gardens, Seasons and Wildlife are categories open to adults (18 or over on the competition entry date) and incur an entry cost.
3. The Young Photographer and Children’s Photographer categories are open to children and young people (under 18 on the competition entry date) and are free to enter. No more than three images may be entered by each applicant.
4. The first, second and third place winners in each category will be awarded a prize; discretional ‘highly commended’ and ‘commended’ awards may also be given but do not receive a prize.
5. There will be an overall ‘RHS Photographer of the Year’ and ‘RHS Young Photographer of the Year’ chosen from the winners of all categories.
6. The entry fee is £5 (RHS members) and £6 (non-members) per photograph entered in any adult category (18 or over) payable securely online by credit/debit card. There is no limit on the number of entries that may be submitted in the adult categories. Entries submitted by those under 18 on the entry date of the competition are free.
7. Entries will be accepted online via the RHS Photo Competition website only. Prints or entries via e-mail or disc will not be accepted.
8. All photos entered must be submitted under an individual’s name.
9. Any photograph that has won a prize in another major photographic competition (or the RHS competition in previous years) will be ineligible for entry into the competition.
10. The RHS requires that prior permission be sought before submitting photographs of private or public gardens. Permission is not required for images taken at RHS Gardens: Wisley, Harlow Carr, Rosemoor and Hyde Hall.
11. Photos from any world location may be submitted.
12. It is the entrant’s responsibility to ensure that all necessary permissions are obtained from any person featured in a photograph.
13. By submitting images you confirm that you are the copyright holder and creator of the image and that you will be responsible for any claims made by any third party.
14. Copyright will remain with the photographer. However by entering this competition the photographer/entrant agrees to the RHS using the images for possible exhibition, publication or promotional use.
15. The judges’ decision is final.
16. Closing date for receipt of entries is Sunday 2 November 2014.
17. Prize-winners (only) will be notified of results by the end of November 2014.
18. The judges reserve the right not to make any award if, in their opinion, none of the entries meet the required standard.
19. If there is any doubt, the RHS will decide whether or not a photograph fulfils particular criteria for a given category. If it does not, it will be withdrawn. The RHS’ decision is final.
20. Full details of RHS Gift Membership can be found on the RHS website at rhs.org.uk/join and rhs.org.uk/join/faqs.
21. In entering the RHS photographic competition, you understand that information relating to your entry will be passed to carefully selected third parties for processing purposes only, and you will receive information from the RHS and its subsidiaries 'RHS Enterprises Ltd', relating to RHS membership, events, products, services and fundraising. The RHS is committed to controlling costs to ensure that they maximise their income to support their charitable purpose and as such would ask you to agree that wherever practical their preferred method of communication will be email.
For further help and information email: email@example.com or visit www.rhs.org.uk/photocomp.