RHS community campaigns by numbers
- RHS Britain in Bloom and RHS It’s Your Neighbourhood campaigns work with more than 2,600 neighbourhoods, villages, towns and cities, involving approximately 300,000 volunteers nationwide in the annual campaigns.
- Each year approximately 75 communities are nominated to the UK Finals of Britain in Bloom on the basis of their outstanding achievement at regional level
- Since the RHS took over Britain in Bloom in 2002, more than 800 communities have benefited from participation in the national finals.
- An estimated 2 million UK residents benefit each year from the impacts of the Britain in Bloom finalist communities’ local gardening and greening activities
- RHS community campaigns (Britain in Bloom and It's Your Neighbourhood) have grown by 60% over the last three years.
What are the benefits of participation?
Communities that participate in RHS Britain in Bloom and RHS It’s Your Neighbourhood benefit in a variety of ways, but the most common benefits are:
- Cleaner, greener surroundings
- Creating a sense of community through improvement of public spaces and positive interaction between community members
- An increase in civic pride and sense of community empowerment by engaging people in the improvement of their own community
- Safer environments for the enjoyment of local people
- Long term improvement for the environment by addressing issues such as sustainability, resource management, recycling, conservation, litter & graffiti reduction, green space development and other sustainable practices.
- Reduction in anti-social behaviour
- Positive effect on the local economy such as increased commercial enterprise and increased tourism
- Regeneration of run down and/or disadvantaged areas
How our campaigns have boosted communities
Read our case studies for: