Potentially harmful garden plants

Serious poisoning by plants is very uncommon in the UK. Some garden plants present a hazard, but the risk of severe poisoning, skin reaction or allergy is generally low.

Save to My scrapbook
Aconitum carmichaelii Arendsii Group. Credit: RHS/Graham Titchmarsh.

Quick facts

If it is not a food plant, do not eat it.
Teach children not to play with or eat growing plants.
Use gloves when pruning or weeding and keep skin covered.
Do not leave prunings or uprooted plants in reach of farm animals or pets.
Check plant labels for toxicity warnings (sometimes stated on label).

Join the RHS today and get 12 months for the price of 9

Join now

Gardeners' calendar

Find out what to do this month with our gardeners' calendar

Advice from the RHS

You may also like

Get involved

The Royal Horticultural Society is the UK’s leading gardening charity. We aim to enrich everyone’s life through plants, and make the UK a greener and more beautiful place.