RHS On Tour will hit the road again in 2018 teaming up with other organisations to hold events with a host of specialist growers, talks, workshops and gardening advice.
Remember that the RHS On Tour events are free for everyone.
Barbican OpenFest, 17–18 March
Silk St, London EC2Y 8DS
The RHS will be running the gardening area of this free weekend of art, entertainment and inspiration at London’s iconic Barbican Centre, where visitors will be able to explore the centre and get a taste of everything they do. There will be a mix of free events and activities from pop-up performances to interactive installations, and ticketed events such as film screenings, gigs and contemporary dance. The RHS On Tour area will feature our usual mix of specialist growers, plant sellers, workshops and activities, and we’ll also be welcoming RHS Ambassador Professor Nigel Dunnett to give visitors tours of his iconic and sustainable planting schemes. There will also be access to one of London’s hidden horticultural gems, the Barbican Conservatory, on Sunday.
Join horticulturist Joseph Ford and sow your choice of chilli seeds to grow on your windowsill. Joseph will guide you through the process and will give helpful hints on aftercare. This is a free, drop-in workshop, and you can quiz Joseph with all of your horticultural questions
- Meet author and indoor plant guru Judith Baehner from Het Groenlab, who will be running a free, drop-in workshop to show you how to propagate succulents, and you will be able to take your freshly potted succulent cutting home with you to grow on. Judith will also be running Jarden (jar garden) making workshop at 2pm on Saturday (in the Barbican Shop) where you will learn how to make your own terrarium garden in a jar. The workshop takes about one hour and teaches you the basics of terrarium making – you’ll also get an instruction booklet detailing how to maintain it. The Jarden workshop is £30 with a maximum of 10 places available so make sure that you book online in advance (link available shortly)
- Floral Artist Paul Malget (La Famille) will be paying homage to the Barbican conservatory with a workshop to exploring the basic principles of contemporary floral design. Participants will work with a range of natural materials to convey and celebrate all aspects of the centre and its place in modernity. Although this a free floral design workshop you will need to sign-up for it in advance on the day, maximum of 12 places per workshop. Times: Saturday 17 March - 11.30am, 1pm, 3pm, 4.30pm. Sunday 18 March - 11.30am, 1pm, 3pm
- Other free workshops will include a drop-in spring floral crowns workshop as well as a how to make your own macramé plant holder workshop, maximum of 6 places per workshop. Times: Saturday 17 March - 11.30am, 12.30pm, 1.30pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm. Sunday 18 March - 11.30am, 12.30pm, 1.30pm, 3pm, 4pm
- The RHS bookshop will be there with a range of horticulturally related titles
- Buy plants from leading nurseries, including houseplant specialists Forest, offering a wide range of indoor greenery well as pots, hangers, and books, and HW Hyde Nurseries with their range of scented bulbs, perfect for planters on balconies and city gardens
Plus, RHS Ambassador Professor Nigel Dunnett will be on hand on both days to give guided tours of his iconic, sustainable planting at the Barbican, which creates continuous and successive waves of colour over long periods of time.
Tour times: 1pm, 2.30pm, 4pm (both days). Max 20 per tour, meet at the RHS stand in the RHS On Tour area, max duration: one hour
Lambeth Country Show, 21-22 July
Norwood Rd, London SE24 9BJ
The Lambeth Country Show will return to Brockwell Park on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 July 2018, boasting a unique line-up that celebrates the very best of the city and countryside. With more than 150,000 people attending throughout the weekend in 2017, the show is one of the biggest family public events in the UK and you can expect all the attractions of a traditional country show plus much more.
The RHS On Tour will be returning to the Flower Zone which is partly organised by the Lambeth Horticultural Society. Here you will be able to find an array of specialist nurseries selling seasonal blooms and tropical houseplants alongside free workshops and the Lambeth Country Show homegrown vegetable and flower competitions. In addition to all of this, there will be craft stalls, food stalls and an on-site farm offering fun for the whole family with a distinctively urban south London vibe.
We have a range of shows and events that will interest you. Find out more about RHS shows.
Remember that RHS members get priority booking to all RHS Shows, discounted tickets and a range of other benefits. Join the RHS today.