There are no formal entry requirements for RHS qualifications at levels 1 and 2, just an interest and enthusiasm for plants and gardening. An RHS qualification covers clearly defined horticultural areas and offers a very flexible approach to studying. We have candidates from all age groups, backgrounds and levels of knowledge.
What courses are on offer?
You can choose to follow either a theoretical or a practical route of study, or a combination of both. Whatever your choice, you can rest assured that RHS qualifications are highly respected both within the horticultural industry and in the academic world.
Where can I study?
You can study at RHS approved centres all around the UK. Find an RHS Approved Centre near you.
Can I study from home?
For those who cannot reach an RHS approved centre it may be more convenient to study from home. We highly recommend you study with a distance learning provider approved by the RHS. Find an approved provider
According to their website, the Chief Executive of the Edinburgh Garden School died in October 2017. We further understand that the registered company (Borders Counselling and Coaching Limited) was dissolved in May 2018. This organisation is not an RHS approved Centre or offering any RHS qualifications.
How long will it take?
The qualifications are all designed for part-time study, usually one day per week or as an evening class, depending on the centre.
Who regulates RHS qualifications?
Qualifications regulator - the awarding organisation of the RHS is regulated by Ofqual (The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulator) in England and Northern Ireland, and by Qualification Wales in Wales
Our RHS Level 1 Award in Practical Horticulture is aimed at those with an interest in plants and gardening in full-time education, or assisted learning and aged 14 or over.
More on Level 1
These qualifications provide an introduction to horticultural skills for those who have limited experience but a keen interest in horticulture.
Our Level 2 qualifications are for those wanting a route into the horticultural profession, to support career development for those already working in horticulture or to provide a foundation for further learning or training.
There are both theory-based and practical-based qualifications at Level 2
More on Level 2
- The theory-based qualifications provide a broad knowledge of the principles supporting horticultural practices.
- The practical-based qualification focuses on developing core horticultural skills and provides the foundation for essential horticultural techniques.
- The RHS Level 2 Diploma in the Principles and Practices of Horticulture is awarded to those who complete both the theory-based and practical-based qualifications.
Our Level 3 qualifications increase opportunities for employment and enable you to specialise in an area of interest. They offer an assessment of horticultural skills for employment and support further career and professional development for those already working in horticulture. They can also provide a foundation for continued learning or training.
There are both theory-based and practical-based qualifications at Level 3
More on Level 3
- The theory-based qualification expands on the knowledge and understanding of a range of horticultural practices covered at Level 2 and introduces pathways into future horticulture disciplines.
- The practical-based qualification builds on the essential horticultural skills covered at Level 2 allowing the learner to begin to specialise in an area of interest.
- The RHS Level 3 Diploma in the Principles and Practices of Horticulture is awarded to those who complete both the theory-based and practical-based qualifications.
What our learners say
Watch students at Bridgwater and Taunton College explain how studying an RHS qualification is giving them greater life satisfaction, optimism and helping them get the most from life
We’re here to help cultivate your passion for horticulture. If you have any questions relating to qualifications please get in touch with us by email.
If your enquiry is urgent please contact the RHS Qualifications team on 01483 226500.
For general enquiries not related to RHS Qualifications please contact 0203 176 5800.