About the garden
Valmer is an enchanting setting dedicated to the delights of gardens and wines with Italian-style hanging gardens of the Renaissance. Eight levels of terraces overlook protected landscapes: clipped hornbeam labyrinth, yew hedge castle, Florentine fountains, balustrades, statues, moats, box hedges and flower beds. There is botany and biodiversity: the Kitchen garden, collections of hydrangeas, peonies and pleached fruit trees.
This is an extensive 17th-century park with columns, a belvedere and a pavilion called Le Vide-bouteille. There is a rare troglodytic chapel dating from 1524. The estate is a listed historical monument and designated Jardin Remarquable by the Ministry of Culture.
The vineyard of Château de Valmer is seated on a rocky spur between the Raye and Brenne valleys. Its 79 acres carrying the label of Vouvray and Touraine appellation benefits from its proximity, less than 3 miles as the crow flies to the Loire river, the last wild European river to be added to the Unesco World Heritage Sites. The family winemaking tradition of the Château de Valmer dates back to the end of the 15th century.
The Count and the Countess of Saint Venant still inhabit the premises. Their son, Jean, represents the new generation of this long lineage of passionate owners. A common passion for excellence drives the Saint Venant family to unite the destinies of gardens and wines. The sixth generation, for the moment, is making delicious 'sand pies' and discovering the joy of picking strawberries in the vegetable garden.
Each visit includes a wine tasting at the boutique of our wines: AOC Vouvray (white wines, sparkling and still wines) and AOC Touraine rosé (pink wines, sparkling and still wines).