About the garden
State ownership, managed by Università di Genova Director, Mauro Mariotti
Hanbury Botanic Gardens are located on the La Mortola promontory, near Ventimiglia, and a few metres from the French border. The history of the Hanbury Gardens is strongly linked to its founder, Sir Thomas Hanbury, who turned a promontory of 44 acres, planted with olive trees and vineyards, into one of the most important and famous botanical gardens in the world to experiment with acclimatisation.
Sir Thomas Hanbury saw the property in March 1867 during a holiday on the French Riviera where he fell in love with it. In May he signed a contract to purchase the Estate. He collaborated with his brother Daniel, a famous pharmacologist and botanist, in creating his garden. From 1868 to 1875 they employed the first of four German curators, Ludwig Winter. Sir Thomas Hanbury networked with other botanic gardens worldwide. Cecil, Thomas’s eldest son, and his wife Dorothy developed the horticultural and landscaping aspects alongside the botanical.
During the Second World War, the gardens were seriously damaged; however, Dorothy tried to restore them as best she could. The Italian State bought the property in 1960 to assure its preservation and its scientific value.
Hanbury Botanic Gardens is today managed by Genoa University. The visitor descends 103m from the entrance to the sea, winding down the numerous paths through nine hectares of garden, within which they found the Australian forest of eucalyptus, the acacia area, bamboos, the succulent collection and the scented garden, the Giardinetti with roses and peonies. Among other important collections such as the citrus with many old varieties, there is an area of other exotic fruit trees and tropical climbers along the pergolas.
A service with an electric car equipped for the transport of disabled people is available strictly upon reservation. A self-driving wheelchair is also available by reservation.
Please note: Dogs are not allowed in the garden but may be left in a dog-friendly area.