Celebrating 70 years of development as a garden, Harrogate’s very own RHS Garden at Harlow Carr will host a summer ‘SevenTea’ and cake party during its three-day annual flower show
(21 - 23 June 2019).
A striking display of ‘SevenTea pots’ planted and decorated by schools and community groups from throughout Yorkshire will be on show. Visitors will be invited to taste a variety of herbal teas and find out more about the health and wellbeing benefits of ‘taking tea’ and its role in bringing people together.
No birthday is complete without cake, and a giant flower cake will be created by celebrity florist, Jonathan Moseley. The popular flower show – now in its fourth year – gives visitors a chance to browse, buy, and pick up advice from more than 50 specialist nurseries and garden trade stands, enjoy a programme of talks and demonstrations then escape the crowds with a relaxing stroll in the stunning surroundings of the 58-acre garden.
There’s also a chance to see a collection of 12 paintings by Yorkshire artist-in-residence Anita Bowerman, who spent the past year painting the garden’s seasonal horticultural highlights using natural materials such as twigs and moss. The full collection will be on display for the first time at the show. Entrance is included in normal garden entry and the show is open from 10am – 5pm each day.
The Harlow Carr team is also planning other activities including poetry and sculpture throughout the year.
History of Harlow Carr
Harlow Carr owes its existence to the mineral springs in and around Harrogate. Once the site of a Victorian health spa, visitors paid to bathe in the warm waters, and the first pleasure gardens were laid out around the site in 1844.
When the Northern Horticultural Society sought a northern counterpart to the RHS garden at Wisley, it chose a 30-acre area of mixed woodland, rough pasture, a dilapidated bath house and stables at Harlow Carr.
Development of a northern trials garden began in 1949 after the Northern Horticultural Society leased the land from Harrogate Corporation. The gardens opened to the public in 1950.
In 2001, after amalgamating with the RHS, Harlow Carr continued to develop design features evoking the surrounding landscapes, including water features, dry stone walling and wooded areas.
More on the history of RHS Garden Harlow Carr