Get to know 2022’s RHS Tatton Park Master Grower – an alpine specialist nursery set in the North Pennines
Each year, extraordinary nurseries are selected as Master Growers, and feature at an RHS Show where they tell the story behind the nursery and the plants it focuses on. For the 2022 RHS Flower Show Tatton Park, Hartside Nursery was selected as our Master Grower, with a display in the Floral Marquee.
‘Plants with altitude’
The highest alpine plant nursery in the UK (at just over 1,000ft above sea level), Hartside Nursery has been trading in the North Pennines for more than 40 years. It is run by Neil Huntley and his wife Sue and was established on a smallholding by Neil’s parents in 1975.
Hartside Nursery specialises in propagating, growing and selling some of the rarely offered hardy compact plants including alpines from around the world. The nursery has been exhibiting at shows for five decades.
Specialities from the Cumbrian nursery include:
- a wide range of small European alpine species and hybrids;
- rare Himalayan Primula species, including a range of P. petiolaris species and forms;
- many spring and autumn-flowering gentians and saxifrages;
- small ericaceous shrubs, including dwarf rhododendrons;
- a wide range of Roscoea, Erythronium, Trillium and others suitable for troughs, rock and woodland gardens.
Hartside Nursery’s wide range of unusual plants are available at shows, from the nursery at Alston, Cumbria, or online
You may also be interested in...