Exhibiting at RHS Shows
Botanical illustration emphasises the depiction of accurate botanical information with aesthetic appeal and should document the anatomical and functional aspect of a plant throughout its lifecycle. Artists are strongly advised to paint from living plant specimens and to make use of photographs for reference only.
Artists, either individuals or groups that have not previously exhibited at an RHS Show, must first submit a sample of four pieces of work to the RHS Picture Panel for assessment and approval at the April Submission Selection Meeting to be eligible to apply for space to display work at an RHS Show in 2019.
A very high standard of work is expected when exhibiting botanical illustration at an RHS Show.
The annual Submission Selection Meeting for 2018 has now passed. Dates and deadlines for the next Submission Selection Meeting, to be held Spring 2019, will be confirmed in September.
Please contact the Picture Panel Secretary before sending any work.
- Four original examples of botanical illustration mounted but not framed, should be sent to the Picture Panel Secretary before the selection meeting. Artists from overseas should send actual-size unmounted prints of their work (not originals). Rolled in a poster tube. Prints cannot be returned.
- Each piece should be labelled with the artist’s name and address, and the subject of the drawing. These works do not need to be on a theme.
- Group exhibitors should ensure that one piece from each artist is submitted.
- Delivery - While every effort will be taken to ensure the safekeeping of your work, it is recommended that you hand deliver and collect your artworks from the Lindley Library Art Collections, by appointment with the Picture Panel Secretary. If, however, you are unable to do so please make alternative arrangements with the Picture Panel Secretary. If posting your artworks within the UK, it is strongly recommended that they are sent 'Special Delivery' or by art courier. The RHS cannot take responsibility for the condition of artworks posted or couriered.
Botanical Illustration Exhibitor Factsheet (557kB pdf)
Dawn Jolliffe Botanical Art Bursary
Funding is available to help support artists with the costs of staging an exhibit at one of the RHS Shows, or towards the costs of travelling to paint plants in their natural habitat.
For more information and to apply see RHS Bursaries
New Dates for 2018:
- RHS Malvern Spring Festival, Thursday 10–Sunday 13 May 2018
- RHS London Plant & Art Fair featuring the RHS London Botanical Art Show, (Late event Tuesday 10 July 2018), Wednesday 11–Thursday 12 July 2018
- RHS Botanical Art Seminar Day, Thursday 12 July 2018 - an inspirational and informative seminar consisting of talks, artist demonstrations, tours of the RHS Lindley Library and an opportunity to visit the RHS Plant & Art Fair featuring the RHS London Botanical Art Show. This exciting day will culminate in a drinks reception in the RHS Lindley Library. Find out more about this event including featured artists and speakers.
Tickets for this event are now on sale
RHS Lindley Library, 020 7821 3050, email@example.com
Shows Department, 020 3176 5800, firstname.lastname@example.org