Hiring gardeners and contractors

Sometimes you need help in the garden, whether it is for specialist work, such as tree surgery or laying a patio, other times you might just need a hand with general maintenance work. There are a wealth of people out there to help, but it can be difficult knowing who to choose. Follow our tips to help choose a contractor.

Save to My scrapbook
It is important to hire qualified contractors. Credit: RHS/John Trenholm.

Quick facts

Consider employing a contractor belonging to a professional organisation
Ask for references, photographs and ideally speak to previous clients
Get quotes from more than one contractor to get a general idea of costs
Be clear about what needs doing and what budget you have available

Join the RHS today and get 12 months for the price of 9

Join now

Gardeners' calendar

Find out what to do this month with our gardeners' calendar

Advice from the RHS

You may also like

Get involved

The Royal Horticultural Society is the UK’s leading gardening charity. We aim to enrich everyone’s life through plants, and make the UK a greener and more beautiful place.