When choosing, buying and planting bog garden plants, keep the following in mind;
- Bog plants love wet soil but not swimming in water. Avoid areas where there is standing water or where the ground is flooded for long periods of time. If the ground has standing water that does not drain, pond marginals will be more suitable
- Spring is the best time to choose plants and plant a bog garden
- When choosing bog plants, check for the light requirements. Many large leaved plants will tolerate a certain amount of shade as well as full sun
- Bog plants like a soil rich in organic matter, so fallen leaves will add to the nutrient levels and structure of the soil
- Plant directly into soil of a bog garden
Water Garden Plants by Greg Speichert & Sue Speichert (Timber Press 2008, ISBN 9780881928464).
Managing the Wet Garden by John Simmons (Timber Press 2008, ISBN 9780881929003).
These books are also made available through the RHS Lindley Library.