Why do I want an allotment?
Whether you are interested in gardening, growing, cooking or indeed eating, tending an allotment is ideal. You can grow a range of fruits, vegetables and herbs for the kitchen, and even grow ornamental plants for a productive and attractive plot.
See if you can designate a piece of your garden to growing crops. If there is no space for crops in your garden, contact your local council on allotment opportunities in your area.
The benefits of growing your own fruit and vegetables in an allotment setting are many. If you decide to take on a plot you can enjoy the many rewards that they bring, including;
- a consistent source of year-round food
- knowledge of what goes into the soil and on your crops
- an ability to grow and eat crops to your taste
- social interaction with like-minded growers
- an excellent means of keeping fit
Where do I get started?
See what you need to consider when starting an allotment.
What crops should I choose?
See our suggestions on what to grow in your allotment, based on characteristics such as soil type, access to sunlight and your own personal taste.