The whole family can get hands-on this May half-term with garden activities and crafts at RHS Garden Wisley’s fun-packed Family Gardening Festival.
Be sure to explore the music maze, a musical playground of instruments made from recycled materials, and look out for interactive stands from the RSPB, Surrey Bees, the National Vegetable Society and Hedgehog Preservation.
Join us for a range of wildlife, flower power and ‘plot to plate’ activities.
Come on an adventure through the Pinetum with Laura Wall’s loveable character Goose. Spot birds, splash in puddles and look for shapes in the clouds. Pick up a trail map at the garden entrance from 1 May.
Take a closer look at creepy crawlies under our microscopes and go on bird spotting walks with the RSPB.
A collection of wildlife sculptures from Surrey's The Sculpture Park will be displayed in the Pinetum.
Let yourself unwind in forest bathing and floral mandala sessions or get creative with floral designer Jonathan Moseley.
Join the RHS seed and library teams to sow and grow a sunflower and make a tulip bookmark.
Plot to plate
Stir your senses in the mini sensory gardens and let your little one’s imagination grow in our mud kitchen and Grow, Cook, Enjoy! cookery classes.
Throughout the week, visitors can view entries for the Budding Gardeners scarecrow competition, part of the RHS Campaign for School Gardening.
Unless otherwise stated, activities run throughout the day.
Goose reading & drawing workshop with Laura Wall (26 & 27 May)
Draw and read stories about Goose in pre-bookable workshops with Laura Wall. The hour-long sessions cost £4 per child and run at 10.30am, 1pm and 3pm. The workshops are aimed at 4–12 year olds.
All week (25 May – 2 June)
- Music maze – an interactive musical playground.
- Laura Wall’s ‘Goose’ trail – pick up a trail map at the garden entrance.
- Microscopes – take a closer look at creepy crawlies 10.30am – 3.30pm.
- Wildlife sculptures in the pinetum.
Wildlife-themed activities (25 – 27 May)
- Mini pond making demonstrations – 10.30am, 11.30am, 1.30pm, 2.30pm, 3.30pm, Clore Learning Centre.
- Lion and tiger LEGO® make and take – 10.30am – 3.30pm (£4 cash only).
- RSPB bird spotting walks – 11.30am and 2pm.
Flower power activities (28 – 29 May)
- Forest bathing & floral mandalas – 15 per session, first come first served.
- Sow a sunflower and decorate the pot – RHS Seed team.
- Make a tulip bookmark – RHS Library team (29 May only).
- Jonathan Moseley – hands-on floral activity.
Plot to plate activities (30 May – 2 June)
- Grow, Cook, Enjoy! workshops – 10.30am and 2pm (£10 + booking fee) book online.
- Mud kitchen
- Mini sensory gardens
We look forward to welcoming you to RHS Garden Wisley this May half term. There will be additional services running over the week, including the bank holiday, to help make the most of your visit to the garden.
Services will include:
- There will be shuttle buses running from car park 4 to the garden
- The gate opposite car park 4 will be open for entry if visitors would like to walk through the garden
- You can shop and collect your plant purchases near to the plant centre and our staff will help bring them out to your car in the designated ‘collect’ space (the first turning off the entry road to Wisley)
- A small team of retail staff will be on hand to help transport purchases to your vehicle within car parks 1-3
- The plant centre and gift shop will be open from 9am-6pm Monday to Saturday (including bank holiday Monday 27 May) and 11am-5pm on Sunday